Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Taste of the Real World and Marlin Nation gets a New Home!

This past week has been the 'Practicum Week' during training for me.  Practicum is sort of like real world training.  I, as well as two other volunteers in Probistip, visited the Municipal building as well as two Non-Profit Organizations.  The goal was to see how these organizations functioned in the real world and get a concrete idea of their needs, as well as how I may fit into one of their organizations.  It is important to note here that since I will be leaving Probistip, I won't actually work for any of these organizations.  I am only learning from these examples.  But, at all three of these organizations, we met with representatives who spoke English.  They told us how the organizations functioned.  It put my mind to ease somewhat.  I had no idea what to expect.  At various training lessons I've been to, the instructors told us what we may encounter, but that's all in the abstract. 

At the Municipality, we visited the important departments.  While we didn't meet the mayor, we met his assistant who told us how the local government more or less functions.  Then we met the Budget office, which prepares the comprehensive budget (natch) every year and then we spoke with representatives from the Office of Economic Development and Office of Juvenile Services and Community Relations.  Currently, the Office of Economic Development is in the midst of a Special Business Zone that the city hopes will spark small business development.  Unemployment is easily the largest issue Probistip faces and by developing small businesses by giving them breaks on buying land, for example, the city hopes employment will increase.  Risto, my host father, works in the Office of Juvenile Services and Community Relations.  Until now, I didn't know really what he did.  I knew he worked in the Municipality, but that was it.  He doesn't speak English and I don't speak Macedonian really, so there was no way for him to effectively communicate his job functions, until now.  The department focuses mainly on education and it also plans the yearly festivals, celebrations, etc.

The two Non-Profits we visited were the Probistip chapter of the Red Cross and the Women's Organization of Probistip.  The two are night and day with regards to their organization.  The Red Cross obviously is an international organization and is able to provide the Probistip chapter with funding and structure.  The Women's Organization has none of that.  It was interesting to see the differences and how they both operate. Prior to the Practicum Week, I was nervous because I really don't know the language and I don't know how organizations in Macedonia function.  So, I didn't know where I fit in or how (or if) I would contribute.  After seeing the organizations first hand, they no longer are abstract concepts, but concrete machines, with visible moving parts.  At the very least, I feel less nervous about beginning my job in a month or so.  Again, I would like to reiterate, I will not be going to any of these three organizations, specifically.

Today, we received our site announcements.  These announcements told us where we will be going after November and what my job will be.  I hoped to remain close to Probistip, as I've made great friendships here.  Aside form that, though, I really wasn't nervous with my placement.  No matter where I was placed, it most likely will be in a town I have never heard of.  In that regard, it was all the same.  But, I did want to know, just to get it out of the way and to begin thinking about the next phase of my journey here.  I was assigned to the Municipality of Resen, in Southwest Macedonia.  If you look to the map to the right, it is in between Bitola and Ohrid, just north of Lake Prespa.  It is clear on the other side of the country.  I will be working in the city hall.  In fact, when the Municipality applied for a Peace Corps volunteer, it specifically asked for an accountant, so I know I will be doing accounting work (and I know I will be working in the office of the budget there).  That is a relief for me, because I know and understand accounting and the knowledge I gain from this experience will probably be useful down the road.  Resen is a city of about 9,000 people (a little less that Probistip) and currently has a Peace Corps Volunteer, who works in the school as an English teacher.  That's all I know of Resen so far, except for what's available on Resen's wiki page (added to the right).  Next week, I will have a site visit out there.  But, today I can safely say I know where Marlin Nation is for the next two years!     

No comments:

Post a Comment